The following is a true story. It is not a dramatization.
Ever since I quit smoking over two years ago, I have rewarded myself after work with a cinnamon-flavored hard candy. It started as a way to divert my nicotine cravings, and now it is just a treat I enjoy when I get into my car each day after work.
Yesterday, I popped the candy in my mouth and drove away like always. Suddenly, the candy slid right down my throat. It was stuck! Stuck in my airway!
Instantly, I panicked. In the space of a nano second, thoughts flooded my mind:
I’m choking. What should I do? Stop the car, get out, flag someone down. I can’t breathe. This is it. This is how I’m going to die. Nobody will know what happened to me. Wait, maybe I can breathe. What should I do? I’m choking. I can feel the candy lodged in my throat. Should I call someone? I have to pull over
All of these thoughts raced through my head. But one thought stood out, one thought hurt the most:
I’m going to miss it.
Maddie and Katie are going to grow up, and I won’t be here to see it.
Well, needless to say, I didn’t die. I did pull over, and the candy remained painfully lodged in my throat for quite some time. But I didn’t die.
Thank God because I just don’t want to miss it.